St. John’s Church has been a part of the Pleasantville community since 1853 when it was established as a mission church of Grace Church in White Plains. The Reverend Robert W. Harris, Rector of Grace Church, was the Priest-in-Charge. Services were held in a schoolhouse in the Old Village until 1885.
In that same year the congregation occupied a new sanctuary on Bedford Rd. which served as it’s home until the present building was occupied in 1912 under the rectorate of the Reverend Dr. Stephen Holmes. The old building now serves as the Pleasantville Community Synagogue.
To meet the demands of a growing church community, the parish hall was added on at a cost of $52,000. Built of native stone with a roof of Vermont slate, it was completed in 1929 under the rectorate of the Reverend Emmons Parkman Burrill. In 1972 the classroom and office wing was completed.
The present Rectory of St. John’s dates back to 1785 and is the oldest house in Pleasantville. It was purchased in 1920 from Miss Caroline Choate who had acquired and lovingly restored the property the year before. The historic integrity of the Rectory as a pre-Revolutionary building has been respected whenever possible while still allowing for modern conveniences necessary for comfortable daily life.
A notable characteristic of St. John’s is the tenure of service of its Rectors. Since 1881 the rectorage has been held by seven Priests, whose average tenure has been 19 years. The Reverend Emmons Parkman Burrill served for 30 years; the Reverends Stephen Homes and Bradford W. Ketchum, for 25 years. The Reverend Lloyd H. Uyeki served for 10 years; The Reverent Phillip Carr-Harris for 19 years until 2004. Father John Edwards served for 4 years, from 2006-2010, and our current Priest, Mother Mary B. Gregorius joined us in August 2012. Our parish site exists to meet the needs of its members, and to help those members in times of hardship.
The church has filed a National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, which contains a wealth of additional information, including some fascinating historical photgraphs. Definitely worth reading.
Taken with a Sony RX100 M3.