By the entrance to the FDR house, Springwood in Hyde Park stands Bellefield, described on the Cultural Landscape Foundation site as follows:

The headquarters for the National Park Service in Hyde Park, was the former home of Thomas and Sarah Newbold, a cousin of Beatrix Farrand. Farrand was hired in 1912 to design the landscape, a series of three gardens descending from the elegant 18th century house, each enclosed by hemlock hedging and traditional native stone walls. The widest section nearest to the house had a large elm tree (now gone), while the other two had long, narrow flower borders. Other areas included a rose garden, a lilac and fruit-tree allée, a boxwood parterre, and a kitchen garden. Farrand also designed several gates with distinctive ornamental embellishments. The family donated the property to the National Park Service in 1976 and the garden fell into disrepair. In the 1990s a volunteer group was formed to restore the gardens. Although the bones of the garden were still in place, most of the plantings, as well as the original planting plans, had long since disappeared. Necessary repairs and replacements were made to the gates and other features using Farrand’s original sketches, while plant selections were made following a nearby Farrand garden designed around the same time. The gardens now are open to the public.

Leave a Reply