We live in close proximity to Fahnestock State Park. In fact it has been possible to walk into the park, but only if you’re willing to dash across the Taconic State Parkway during a lull in the traffic. That, however, has now changed. The park has recently acquired some new land south of where I live. Now it’s possible to walk into the park without crossing the Taconic.

I was therefore excited to hear that our local property owners association was organizing a hike into this new area – particularly since I suspected that there was something I really wanted to see along the way (See next post: A Hike. Part 2.)

Unfortunately, we were going through a very busy period at that time and I felt that I couldn’t devote the time required (around three hours) for the entire hike. As we were waiting to begin I mentioned this to one of the organizers and said that I might only do part of the hike and then return. She said that this would not be possible. At first I thought she was joking, but gradually realized that she as quite series. OK – so it was either do the full hike, or don’t go at all. I wouldn’t go at all, so I asked where the hike started so that I could later follow the trail myself and was told that that wouldn’t be possible either. I was getting annoyed by this point. I later came to understand that she felt responsible for the hikers and and for making sure that none of them wandered off on the as yet unmarked trails. She wasn’t to know that I spend a lot of my time walking in the woods and don’t tend to get lost. After consulting my wife (who encouraged me to do the entire hike) I decided to go along and I’m glad I did.

Above – at the beginning of the hike Sam describes our route.

The group takes a breather.

Old stone bridge over Roaring Brook. It looks as if a road once went over this bridge. Nowadays you can’t continue as the Taconic State Parkway gets in the way.

He went thataway!

To the delight of all concerned and particularly the children, Sam finds some tadpoles and a frog.

The group navigates one of the last uphill stretches, of which there were many.

Taken with a Sony RX-100M3.

Leave a Reply