According to the church’s website:
Catholics attending Mass from ‘Croton Landing’ had to walk over five miles to St. Patrick’s in Verplanck until 1850; then they walked three miles to St. Augustine’s in Ossining. From 1850 to 1874, priests from Ossining would celebrate Mass weekly in the Edward White residence on Mt. Airy Road and then later on Riverside Avenue when more space was needed. The first Church was built in 1868 by Reverend William McClennan, the pastor in Ossining.
In 1895, a rectory was purchased on Grand Street, formerly the John Sharpe residence. In 1898, Rev. John J. Owens, pastor of St. Augustine’s Church, erected the parish Church on Grand Street. The cornerstone was dated July 10, 1898. The old Church (on Church Street) was sold by Father Owens to the Kelly family for $1,000. Mr. Milano acquired it late in 1934 from the Kelly family children. The Coleman family, builders of the Dam, donated the resources for the second Church (and also the Chapel at Croton Dam).
The first Mass was celebrated at Christmas 1898 at 8 AM and the Church was formally dedicated on April 30, 1899 by Archbishop Corrigan. The Rt. Rev. Monsignor John J. Keane, of St James Church in lower NY, was preacher that day.
The Chapel of the Good Shepherd was built in the Harmon section of the village in 1929. In 1990 and 1991, both the main church and Good Shepherd Chapel were remodeled and renovated.
The main church underwent a big renovation during the winter of 2008/2009 and is now more beautiful than ever. The outside has been water-sealed and the inside received all new paint with gold trim, new carpet, the pews have been re-varnished, and the altar area has a new hardwood floor. The area behind the altar has been opened up to give a larger, more spacious feeling and the pews have been rearranged to allow better seating. The look is bright and beautiful.
Taken with a Sony RX-100 M3.