“The first purpose-built school building in the village was on Main Street, built in 1857, roughly opposite the present town hall. That served until 1896, when a new building was completed on Broadway, just south of the present High School, on what had been the Appleton estate. That 1896 building was doubled in size in the early 20th century with an addition on the back. The addition became the high school, and the front part was the elementary school. The building was dedicated Dec 22, 1896, and the ceremony was recounted in the Dec 25, 1896, issue of the Dobbs Ferry Register, on page 1. The present high school was a WPA project, begun in 1934 and completed in 1936. The 1896 building and the 1936 building sat side by side and comprised the entire school system until Springhurst School was building on the former F. Q. Brown estate in the late 1950s. There was a long battle in the village over whether to build Springhurst. Many times, it was put to a vote and defeated, even though the old buildings were overcrowded and students in many grades were on “double session”—meaning some went from very early in the morning until mid-day and others started at mid-day and stayed until late afternoon. After Springhurst was built, the 1896 building became the middle school, housing grades 5 through 8. In the 1960s or early 70s, Springhurst was expanded and the 1896 building, which was becoming structurally unsound, was demolished. (Additional Source: Personal recollections as a student in the schools (James Luckett) 1955 – 1966.)” (Wikipedia)

Taken with a Fuji X-E3 and Fuji XC 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 OSS II

Leave a Reply