A Walk Around Sleepy Hollow Cemetery – Washington Irving Grave Site

Washington Irving (April 3, 1783 – November 28, 1859) was an American short-story writer, essayist, biographer, historian, and diplomat of the early 19th century. He is best known for his short stories “Rip Van Winkle” (1819) and “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” (1820), both of which appear in his collection The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent. His historical works include biographies of Oliver Goldsmith, Muhammad and George Washington, as well as several histories of 15th-century Spain that deal with subjects such as Alhambra, Christopher Columbus and the Moors.

Irving served as ambassador to Spain from 1842 to 1846. He made his literary debut in 1802 with a series of observational letters to the Morning Chronicle, written under the pseudonym Jonathan Oldstyle. He moved to England for the family business in 1815 where he achieved fame with the publication of The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent., serialized from 1819–20. He continued to publish regularly throughout his life, and he completed a five-volume biography of George Washington just eight months before his death at age 76 in Tarrytown, New York.

Irving was one of the first American writers to earn acclaim in Europe, and he encouraged other American authors such as Nathaniel Hawthorne, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Herman Melville and Edgar Allan Poe. He was also admired by some British writers, including Lord Byron, Thomas Campbell, Charles Dickens, Francis Jeffrey and Walter Scott. He advocated for writing as a legitimate profession and argued for stronger laws to protect American writers from copyright infringement. (Wikipedia)

Taken with a Sony RX-100 M3.

A couple of squirrels

According to The Conversation 2019 is a “mast” year for oaks.

If you have oak trees in your neighborhood, perhaps you’ve noticed that some years the ground is carpeted with their acorns, and some years there are hardly any. Biologists call this pattern, in which all the oak trees for miles around make either lots of acorns or almost none, “masting.”

In New England, naturalists have declared this fall a mast year for oaks: All the trees are making tons of acorns all at the same time.

We certainly have hundreds, if not thousands of acorns on the ground.

And with the acorns come squirrels.

First picture taken with a Canon EOS 5d and EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 USM; second with a Panasonic Lumix GF-1 and Lumix G Vario 45-150mm f4.0-5.6.

A visit to Fishkill – Van Wyck Homestead – The Mystery of the Stone Floor

There’s a story beneath this unassuming patch of vegetation.

[It’s] directly above a a stone floor. This was discovered during archeological (sic) digs in the 1960s. The soil above the floor had been undisturbed and the floor had been built on a layer from the last glacier deposit. There was nothing below it. The mystery is this. Above the floor was an ancient arrowhead, made and used long before Europeans. Who built the stone floor? Was it local Indians? (Van Wyck Homestead Museum Self-Guided Trail Guide).

Taken with a Sony RX-100 M3.