Bee on a flower

I waited patiently for a long time hoping that an insect would appear. How I wish that was true, but unfortunately I fear that I lack that kind of patience. What actually happened was that I was trying to take a picture of this Coreopsis when all of a sudden, right before my very eyes, this bee decided to alight on the very flower I was taking a picture of. Talk about lucky…

Taken with a Sony Alpha 77II and Minolta AF 50mm Macro f2.8.

Flowers in our garden – Rhododendron

We have a huge rhododendron on the side of our driveway. The picture (above) doesn’t do justice to it. We can only reach the lower branches to prune it. Another strange thing about it is that, at a quick glance, it looks as though three different colored blossoms are growing on the same tree. This isn’t actually the case. If you look carefully there are three distinct trunks, the branches of which have all grown together. Below the red blossoms, and the purple blossoms. I don’t seem to have taken a picture of the third.

Taken with a Sony A77II and Minolta 50mm f2.8 Macro.

Flowers in our garden – Kalmia latifolia

Otherwise known as mountain laurel. It’s quite beautiful, but apparently highly toxic. Since we found out we’ve tried to keep our dog away from it – just in case.

According to Wikipedia:

Mountain laurel is poisonous to several different animals, including horses, goats, cattle, deer, monkeys, and humans, due to grayanotoxin and arbutin. The green parts of the plant, flowers, twigs, and pollen are all toxic, including food products made from them, such as toxic honey that may produce neurotoxic and gastrointestinal symptoms in humans eating more than a modest amount. Symptoms of toxicity begin to appear about 6 hours following ingestion. Symptoms include irregular or difficulty breathing, anorexia, repeated swallowing, profuse salivation, watering of the eyes and nose, cardiac distress, incoordination, depression, vomiting, frequent defecation, weakness, convulsions, paralysis, coma, and eventually death. Necropsy of animals who have died from spoonwood (Note: an alternative name) poisoning show gastrointestinal hemorrhage.

Taken with a Sony RX-100 M3.