A walk around Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow. André Captors’ Monument

Located in Patriot’s Park, Tarrytown – Right next to Route 9. According to Kidswestchester.com:

Patriots Park, a 4-acre park, is located at North Broadway, Tarrytown, NY 10591 in Westchester County on the border of Sleepy Hollow.

“The people of Westchester County have erected this monument as well to commemorate a great event as to testify their high estimation of that integrity and patriotism which, rejecting every temptation rescued the United States from most imminent peril by baffling the arts of a spy and the plots of a traitor, Dedicated October 7th 1853 ”

“This plaque was placed here under the auspices of the bicentennial celebration committee, to preserve for posterity the text, of the original inscription carved in stone. Unveiled September 6, 1980. “

A nearby historic marker reads:

“Here in 1780 three honest militiamen arrested Major John André Adjt-Gen. British Army, disguised, preventing
disaster to the American cause ”

According to Waymarking.com:

A monument depicts one of the militiamen, John Pauling (sic – should read Paulding). A 6′ by 3′ by 3′ bronze statue of John Pauling stands on a 12′ by 6′ by 8′ marble base. John Pauling is shown wearing a vest, wide-lapel double breasted coat and a broad brimmed hat. He holding a musket rifle vertically by the barrel in his right hand. His left arm is down by his side and the fingers of his left hand a spread out. He stands on top of a tall marble base. The face of the base has a relief plaque illustrating the Major John André, by the three militiamen from Tarrytown, John Paulding, David Williams, and Isaac Van Wart.

The marble base was installed on October 7, 1853. The bronze sculpture was created 27 years later by William Rudolf O’Donovan and Theo Bauer. It was cast at the M. J. Power Bronze Foundry and dedicated on September 23, 1880.

Taken with an SMC pentax-f 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 on a Sony NEX 5n

A walk around Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow. The Legend and a Name Change

The inscription on this marker reads: “Presented to the Village of North Tarrytown by the Centennial Committee. 1874-1974.” Why “North Tarrytown”? Well, the reality is that until 1996 that’s what the village was called. According to Wikipedia:

Originally incorporated as North Tarrytown in the late 19th century, in 1996 the village officially adopted the traditional name for the area. The village is known to many via “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”, a short story about the local area and its infamous specter, the Headless Horseman, written by Washington Irving, who lived in Tarrytown and is buried in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. Owing to this story, as well as the village’s roots in early American history and folklore, Sleepy Hollow is considered by some to be one of the “most haunted places in the world”.

The village is home to the Philipsburg Manor House and the Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow, as well as the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, where in addition to Washington Irving, numerous other notable people are buried.

For more information on the name change see New York Times article: North Tarrytown Votes to Pursue Its Future as Sleepy Hollow. Personally I’d much rather live in Sleepy Hollow than in North Tarrytown.

The marker depicts two of the most famous inhabitants of Sleepy Hollow: Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman as featured in Washington Irving’s Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

Taken with an SMC pentax-f 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 on a Sony NEX 5n